Jen Hernandez has been working with Expect More Arizona for four years. She has played an integral role in making education a top priority and building education advocates in both urban and rural communities throughout Northern Arizona.
“This quote from Nelson Mandela best summarizes why I believe education and advocacy is so very important: Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world. I know that my quality of life changed for the better thanks to the many wonderful teachers I had and to the educational opportunities that I experienced. I hope that through our work, we are creating a future where every person is empowered by their education to make the world a better, kinder and healthier place.”
- Born in Arizona to New York City transplants.
- Attended several schools in the Phoenix area and graduated from Shadow Mountain high school in the early ‘90s.
- First generation college student; graduated Summa Cum Laude from Arizona State University.
- Relocated from Phoenix to Flagstaff in 2001 and has lived in Northern Arizona communities with her family ever since.
- Is a folk artist who has taught clay sculpting workshops on both U.S. coasts and has had work published in national print magazines.
- Loves dancing, and has taken lessons in Lindy Hop, Charleston, Rockabilly Jive and vows to learn Collegiate Shag and Balboa next.
- Is a Disneyland fanatic and visits The Mouse at least three times annually.
- Spent the early part of her career working in public health education and outreach.
- Rarely without headphones in her ears (in fact, everything she knows, she probably learned from a podcast).
- Took on her most important role in life when she became a mom at age 20, then a nana at age 43. She is enormously proud of her beautiful family.
At Expect More Arizona, our relationships with partners in communities throughout the state are essential to ensuring the diverse needs and voices within education are represented in our work. Our Community Engagement team play a critical role in building those relationships by serving as the primary representative of Expect More Arizona in all corners of Arizona.