Post High School Enrollment
The percent of Arizona high school graduates are enrolled in postsecondary education the semester after graduating from high school.
- National Student Clearinghouse via Arizona Board of Regents, 2016-17
- National Center for Education Statistics, 2016-17
Included in this number
Arizona district and charter high school students who graduated in 2015-16 school year and enrolled in post-secondary education by the Fall 2016 semester. Post-secondary enrollment includes in-state and out-of-state universities, community colleges, or private postsecondary trade schools
Not included in this number
- Students who have enlisted in the military.
- Students attending the small number of private postsecondary institutions that do not send data to the National Student Clearinghouse.
- Students on religious missions.
- Additionally, three types of schools, and their accompanying students were removed from the county-level data:
- Graduates of three schools whose county location could not be definitively identified. These schools had a total of 80 graduates and 21 enrollees in postsecondary education.
- Graduates of 54 high schools whose graduating class was 5 or fewer students. These schools would have total maximum of 255 (51 x 5) graduates.
- Graduates of 110 high schools that had fewer than 5 students enroll in the postsecondary education. These schools had a total of 1,835 graduates, an unknown number of whom went on to postsecondary education.
Arizona Board of Regents (ABOR) publishes a list of high schools in Arizona along with the number of graduates and the number who enroll in post-secondary education the following year. High school graduation data for the 2015-16 school year is supplied to ABOR by the Arizona Department of Education, while the National Student Clearinghouse provides information on enrollment in universities, community colleges, and trade schools for the fall semester of 2016. ABOR combines these two sources to produce their report.
The ABOR report, is compiled using high school graduation numbers from ADE and postsecondary enrollment figures from the National Student Clearinghouse. This report, listing school names, graduation counts, and post-secondary enrollment counts is converted from PDF to Excel format. Data from the National Center for Education Statistics lists the county for each school in Arizona. This information is linked with the ABOR data to provide a geographic breakdown. Note that students of online high schools may not live in the county where the school is located, and a small number of students may cross county borders to attend high school.