October 2020 Communications
FAFSA Season is Here
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, also known as the FAFSA, is an important application that provides financial options for students and their families to help fund their college education. Arizona has committed to increasing the number of high school seniors who complete the application by establishing a state FAFSA completion rate goal of 52% for the current high school senior class of 2021. The state has also created the Arizona FAFSA Challenge which highlights high schools throughout Arizona for their FAFSA completion efforts. Help us spread information about the number of FAFSA resources and other tips on saving for college, how to apply and where to go for assistance.
Additionally, check out our guest blog by the Arizona Commission for Postsecondary Education with the top 5 tips for completing your FAFSA and help us share it with your networks!
Sample Social Post:
- If you’re planning to attend college next fall, you need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to be considered for loans, grants, work-study programs and some scholarships. Don’t know where to start? Check out these 5 step to help you complete the #FAFSA! #Go60AZ Learn more: bit.ly/FAFSASeason (Share our posts on Facebook or Twitter).
Be A Leader Foundation is hosting a FREE virtual summit, “Taking Steps Toward College Success” on November 13-15. It will include nationally recognized keynote speakers, engaging sessions, a virtual resource fair, student-led empowerment sessions and more. Any Arizona high school student or family member is welcome to attend and once you register, you will have access to all the session on-demand following the summit. Learn more and register today at BeALeaderFoundation.org/TakingSteps.
Here is how you can help spread the word:
- Share the commercial (30 second or 1 minute) with school leaders, counselors and educators and ask them to show it to students at the beginning of class or during morning announcements.
- Post information about the event on your social media channels and encourage students and families to participate. (Check out the Taking Steps Towards College Success Social Media Kit for ideas and images)
- Join @BeALeaderFound for their virtual summit “Taking Steps Toward College Success” on November 13-15. It will include nationally recognized keynote speakers, engage sessions, a virtual resource fair, student-led empowerment sessions and more. REGISTER TODAY: bealeaderfoundation.org/takingsteps (Share our posts on Facebook or Twitter).
- Include the event details and description in an upcoming newsletter or add the flyer to your website.
- Be A Leader Foundation also created a sample email template that can be used to email teachers/educators in your network that would be able to leverage the commercials during their classes to promote the event.
If you have any questions about the virtual summit, please reach out directly to Karla Robles at Be A Leader Foundation (email@example.com).
Additional FAFSA Resources
Vote 4 Education Webinar Series
Arizona students and educators are counting on voters to study up on the issues and show up for the November election. Many of the topics weighing on the minds of voters have a significant impact on students and classrooms, include the ongoing pandemic, social injustice, and more. Expect More Arizona hosted a series of webinars focused on How Your Vote Makes a Difference in Education and all those recordings are available to watch on-demand at: ExpectMoreArizona.org/VoteWebinars.
- Overview: How Your Vote Impacts Education (35 minutes)
- What Are Bonds & Overrides and Why Do They Matter? (90 minutes)
- How Your Vote Impacts Early Childhood Education (60 minutes)
- What’s at Stake for Postsecondary Education this Election? (60 minutes)
- Your Vote, Your Schools (60 minutes)
- What You Need to Know About School District Governing Boards
With elections right around the corner and more parents than ever tuning into school district governing board meetings, Expect More Arizona interviewed three school board members to learn about their experiences. Hear more about what their role entails and why it’s important for you to vote all the way down the ballot and make an informed decision in November. (Share our post on Facebook or Twitter).
- What Role Do County School Superintendents Play in the School System?
County school superintendents are elected every four years, during the same election cycle as the president. Though their races are partisan, their jobs are not. Do you really understand what you’re voting for and what role they play in education in Arizona? Check out this recent blog post by Expect More Arizona to find out more about the impact of county superintendents. (Share our post on Facebook or Twitter)
- Maintaining a strong connection between schools and communities during a global pandemic
Education belongs to the entire community and we’re all stronger when schools are strong and well-resourced. Wondering what you can do to help when schools aren’t allowing visitors or volunteers? Check out these ideas from our latest guest: expectmorearizona.org/blog/2020/10/14/maintaining-a-strong-connection-between-schools-and-communities-during-a-global-pandemic. (Share our posts on Facebook or Twitter).
- Three pieces of advice for college(bound) students during the pandemic
Forging a path to college is a daunting pursuit, even in a normal year. But during a pandemic, enrolling in higher education is more complicated than ever. Check out these top 3 tips for college (bound) students from an expert: expectmorearizona.org/blog/2020/10/07/three-pieces-of-advice-for-collegebound-students-during-the-pandemic. (Share our posts on Facebook or Twitter).
- College Student Shares Experience with Virtual Learning
A college junior details her experiences with virtual learning at The University of Arizona as a nutritional sciences major and shares the challenges and benefits of attending classes online from her perspective.
(Share our posts on Facebook or Twitter).