Survey Details

The survey was conducted by Expect More Arizona using Survey Monkey and made available to Arizona teachers from May 20-31, 2020. It was distributed electronically via email and social media channels of Expect More Arizona, Arizona Department of Education, Arizona Education Association, Arizona Charter Schools Association, Arizona School Boards Association, Arizona School Administrators, Tucson Values Teachers, Arizona K-12 Center, Arizona Education Foundation and many other education organizations and school districts around the state.

Participant Details

  • 10,795 classroom teachers who engage in direct instruction (An additional 228 educators responded but were excluded from the final data analysis because they are principals, teacher coaches, aides or others.)
  • Most work in school districts (87%, 9,376) with the rest teaching in charter schools (13%,
    1,419).
  • Almost two-thirds teach in high poverty Title 1 schools (65%, 6,990; 35%, 3,805 at non-
    Title 1 schools).
  • More than half of the respondents have taught for 11 or more years (58%, 6,228).
  • Twenty percent (2,156) have been teaching for 6-10 years. Ten percent (1094) have
    been teaching for 4-5 years. Twelve percent of the teachers who responded to the
    survey (1317) were new teachers with three or less years of experience.
  • Half the respondents teach in elementary schools (51%, 5531); 21% (2,285) teach in
    middle schools; 24% (2,565) teach in high schools; and 3% (414) teach at multiple levels.
  • Fifty-nine percent of respondents are from Maricopa County; 17% were from Pima
    County, and 5% were from Pinal County. All other counties had 4% or fewer
    respondents per county.

How does this group of teachers compare to all teachers in Arizona?

This sample may slightly over-represent the experiences and opinions of direct instruction teachers with 11 or more years of teaching experience who work at Title 1 elementary schools located in public school districts located in Maricopa County. The results should be interpreted with care because this survey reports the perspectives of teachers who received the survey through Expect More Arizona’s distribution networks and elected to participate.