2021 ADVOCACY PRIORITIES
Education unlocks the potential of individuals and communities. The success of every student is vital to our state’s economic prosperity, quality of life and civic health. Highlighted by the pandemic, numerous barriers to academic success disproportionately affect low-income students and students of color. That is why Expect More Arizona works with our partners to advance policies and champion resources to tackle longstanding inequities and other systemic barriers that inhibit low-income students and students of color from thriving, and prevent Arizona from meeting the goals of the Arizona Education Progress Meter.
In 2021 Expect More Arizona will support efforts that:
- Provide significant, stable, long-term investments in education to help accelerate toward the Education Progress Meter goals and Roadmap priorities, including funding that will:
- Support access to high quality early learning for young children across the state, and
- Advance access to postsecondary education, address workforce needs, and strengthen our community colleges, universities, and workforce;
- Provide students across the state with equitable access to the tools necessary to navigate distance learning;
- Identify and address longstanding inequities and other systemic barriers that hinder student success toward closing achievement gaps;
- Advance quality early learning and early literacy in alignment with the Education Progress Meter;
- Safeguard the 2021 statewide assessment;
- Mindful of the impacts of the pandemic, ensure that any metrics used within the state’s accountability systems are valid, reliable, and equitable for our students, educators, and schools; and
- Accelerate student awareness of, preparedness for, and involvement in career and college.