NEW VOTER SURVEY RESULTS
Expect More Arizona commissioned its annual statewide public opinion survey of 600 likely Arizona voters in November 2019. For the fifth year in a row, poll results show that voters believe education is the most important issue facing our state, above immigration, healthcare or the economy. Voters continue to consider teacher pay and a general lack of funding to be our state’s most significant education issues.
Voters understand that the quality of our schools impacts the strength of our communities; that if we want a skilled worker for every job, we need to invest in our schools; and that education is important at all levels and in need of additional investment.
WE ARE NOT ON TRACK TO REACH THE STATE’S 2030 GOALS
It’s been nearly four years since the Arizona Education Progress Meter was developed to provide a clear picture of where we stand and to outline broadly supported education goals the state aims to meet by 2030. While there are a lot of great things happening around the state, and we’ve gained ground in a number of areas, it’s clear we are not on track to meet the long-term goals.
The status quo is not working. If we want our students to realize their potential, so our state can realize it’s potential, we need to work together and determine the right ways to accelerate progress.
We know that funding is not a silver bullet – we need sound policy, supportive investments, and solid implementation at the local level. However, Arizona has lagged so far behind in funding that the need to address it has become incredibly urgent.
EXPECT MORE ARIZONA’S 2020 ADVOCACY PRIORITIES
In 2020, Expect More Arizona will work with our partners and network of supporters to advance policies that help ensure all students receive an excellent education every step of the way and advance the goals in the Arizona Education Progress Meter by supporting efforts that:
- Provide significant, stable, long-term investments in education to help accelerate toward the Education Progress Meter goals and Roadmap for P-20 Education Funding priorities, including funding that will:
- Support access to high quality early learning for young children across the state;
- Provide resources to support and deliver an excellent education to all students, including competitive compensation and professional development necessary to recruit and retain talent; and
- Advance access to postsecondary education, address workforce needs, and strengthen our community colleges, universities, and workforce.
- Identify and support student needs, including mechanisms to close the achievement gap.
- Advance quality early learning and early literacy in alignment with the Education Progress Meter.
- Monitor and inform accountability systems to ensure they are clear, consistent, and equitable for our students, educators, and schools.
- Accelerate student awareness of, preparedness for, and involvement in career and college pathways.
EVERYONE HAS A ROLE TO PLAY. TAKE ACTION TODAY.
Every Arizonan has a role to play to ensure all students receive an excellent education every step of the way.